SuperHome Forum

Breathable Roof Insulation Options and cost and suppliers

Come get inspired…
Go Green your home!
Forums General Discussion Breathable Roof Insulation Options and cost and suppliers

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GordonG 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

sam lyons
    Participant

Hi,
    I am embarking on converting a Barn – all approvals in – Builder engaged. I have to buy breathable product for a 30m Barn with roof of 270m2. Does £14.5k sound about the right price just for the insulation as it seems very expensive to me. This will achieve a 0.20 u value for my roof.There is no loft so the beams will all be exposed.

I would be using 22mm Wood fibre Boards – above rafters.Listed Building will not allow any thicker as it would raise the roofline too much.
    100mm Cosywool slab between the rafters. Would normal sheeps wool be a good alternative?
    80mm Wood fibre beneath the rafters and then 6mm Lime Hemp plaster, mesh, 6mm Lime Hemp with a final 3mm Lime Top Coat.
    I may need a breathable membrane – helps draughts – so that would be extra – although the supplier says it is not necessary.
    I am researching and speaking to various suppliers – but sometimes they conflict or people are not experienced with Old Buildings so want to use Kingspan etc – which is not breathable so not suitable.
    Do you know of any reasonably priced suppliers?
    Does this seem a reasonable price?
    My Builder is excellent but never used this type of insulation before.
    Has anyone insulated a roof on an old building?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GordonG
    Keymaster

Sam – this kind of detailed technical/current costs enquiry is probably best suited to the Green Building Forum.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.