SuperHome Forum

Can I use cork for internal thermal insulation?

SuperHomes Revamp Forums General Discussion Can I use cork for internal thermal insulation?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  justin 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ruby
    Participant

Has anyone else used cork board (or roll) internally to thermally insulate a room?  I would like to know if it’s possible and efficient.

I have a back bedroom in need of insulation but would like to avoid using batons and plaster board as this will take up too much of the room’s size.

Can I stick cork boards to the walls? Would cork wall paper work?

There are lots of manufacturers websites but I’m hoping to find other people’s personal experience!

With thanks.

sknight22
    Participant

It is possible to use cork as an interior insulator. I’ve seen many homes use cork not only as insulation, but also as an accessory to the wall itself and as a noise reducer.

GordonG
    Keymaster

You might like to contact SuperHomer Susan Venner for a view – she has used cork externally and internally.

http://www.superhomes.org.uk/superhomes/london-balham-cornford-grove/

justin
    Participant

Cork (very sadly) is an enormously expensive product these days. In terms of performance it’s only about half as hood as PIR foam commonly used for internal remedial insulation. In real terms, to bring a solid wall up to the minimum UK standards requires about 70mm PIR foam. Using cork you would need about 140mm thickness.

Now since as a product to buy, just 10mm thickness (say a cork board wall) can cost you perhaps £30 per square metre, pro rata at 140mm we are onto £400 per M^2 and that’s assuming you could get product (you can’t), and assuming you are prepared to loose half a foot of your room.

GordonG
    Keymaster

You can buy 140mm thick internal wall cork insulation in the UK –  This is precisely what SuperHomer Susan Venner used internally:

http://www.superhomes.org.uk/resources/is-cork-insulation-suitable-for-insulating-solid-walls/

A quick google search reveals several UK suppliers of cork board insulation . There is one in Devon quoting 100mm cork board at £25/m2. Susan is a reliable source of information (link in my post above).

justin
    Participant

Hi Ruby.

Well I stand to some extent corrected then, sorry. (Thanks Gordon).

My previous biased viewpoint had come from the comparatively huge price of cork used as flooring (It was so common and cheap, and good to use, back in the 80’s). I put it down to shortage of cork trees and assumes insulation would share the same fate.

If cork insulation is really available 100mm thick for £25 then that’s a very good price compared to ~6mm thick cork flooring which can work out the same price per M^2. Maybe it’s the manufacturing method or the quality, I don’t know.

Wood fibre board may perform just a little better than the cork.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.