SuperHome Forum

Breathable Roof Insulation Options and cost and suppliers

SuperHomes Revamp Forums General Discussion Breathable Roof Insulation Options and cost and suppliers

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  GordonG 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

sam lyons
    Participant

Hi,
    I am embarking on converting a Barn – all approvals in – Builder engaged. I have to buy breathable product for a 30m Barn with roof of 270m2. Does £14.5k sound about the right price just for the insulation as it seems very expensive to me. This will achieve a 0.20 u value for my roof.There is no loft so the beams will all be exposed.

I would be using 22mm Wood fibre Boards – above rafters.Listed Building will not allow any thicker as it would raise the roofline too much.
    100mm Cosywool slab between the rafters. Would normal sheeps wool be a good alternative?
    80mm Wood fibre beneath the rafters and then 6mm Lime Hemp plaster, mesh, 6mm Lime Hemp with a final 3mm Lime Top Coat.
    I may need a breathable membrane – helps draughts – so that would be extra – although the supplier says it is not necessary.
    I am researching and speaking to various suppliers – but sometimes they conflict or people are not experienced with Old Buildings so want to use Kingspan etc – which is not breathable so not suitable.
    Do you know of any reasonably priced suppliers?
    Does this seem a reasonable price?
    My Builder is excellent but never used this type of insulation before.
    Has anyone insulated a roof on an old building?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GordonG
    Keymaster

Sam – this kind of detailed technical/current costs enquiry is probably best suited to the Green Building Forum.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.